downward glance

downward glance

Monday, January 18, 2010

Okay, Okay. I Don't Really Like Animal Collective

Okay. I didn't really say if I liked Animal Collective. The truth is I don't hear anything in their music that consistently grabs me. One or two songs appeal to me, but I'm not about to pledged enduing love for this band for the sake of gaining a few cool points. These are men who sound like children have shit fits over who gets to hold the mic. Where's the bass? The meat is lacking. I can only listen to a high pitched moan for so long before my ears bleed. I need complex, deep layers of sound. "My Girls" is novel at first listen, but it doesn't stick.

What makes a group a group is coming together and blending different sounds and rhythms. Producing one big glob of sound isn't doing much. I wish they'd invest more in melody and branch out from there. The melody is what allows for the addition of layers, variation, bass.

No comments:

Post a Comment